Unit 1: An Introduction to Law
CHAPTER 2: THE RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS OF CANADIANS
E-ACTIVITY: THE UNITED NATIONS WORKING AGAINST GLOBAL INJUSTICE (p.
Activity: Give a Group Presentation on the UN's Work against Global
Peace, justice, human rights, international development—the United
Nations is involved in all these aspects of global life, and many more.
How is the UN working to make the world a better place? Work through
the following steps to research this question and give a group presentation
about a particular area of UN global involvement.
- In preparation for developing your group presentation, visit the
Web site of the United
Nations (UN) and briefly summarize the main features of UN involvement
by answering the following questions:
- What does the UN do for peace?
- What does the UN do for justice, human rights, and international
- What does the UN do for humanitarian assistance?
- What does the UN do for development?
- How is the UN making the world a better place? Explore the UN's
Web site and highlight some of the areas where the UN is making
- Form partners or groups of three, and choose either one of the two
options below for the topic of a presentation to be made to the class.
Extend your research on any of the UN projects you identified for Question
2. For example, you could research the Joint
UN Programme on HIV/AIDS. Analyze how your chosen program helps
the UN work against global injustice.
Select one of the following international organizations and research
its purpose. Provide examples of the work it is doing globally against