Unit 2: Criminal Law
CHAPTER 4: CRIMINAL LAW AND CRIMINAL OFFENCES
E-ACTIVITY: GUN CONTROL IN CANADA (p. 121)
Activity: Make a Pamphlet About Gun Control
Activists who condemn violence have pushed for heavier laws on gun control
in recent years. What are the current laws controlling gun ownership
in this country? What is the Canadian gun registration system, and how
does it work? Why have gun control? To answer these questions, choose
one of the two options outlined here: to make a pamphlet to educate the
public about gun control and the gun registration system in this country,
or to make a pamphlet to outline the reasons for gun control.
Create a pamphlet to educate the public about the current state of gun-control
laws in Canada. Note that gun control involves both the banning of
ownership of guns of particular varieties, and the restriction and
registration requirements of the weapons that are permitted. Your pamphlet
should answer the questions below. You can find answers to the first
questions, and additional information, by visiting the Web site for
for Gun Control. Click on "Overview" to access much of
the information you will need. You can get more of the information
you'll need by visiting the FAQ page at the Web site of the Canadian
- What firearms are currently banned?
- What are the current licensing requirements?
- What are the current registration requirements?
- What are the current storage requirements?
- What are the current training requirements?
- What are the current penalties for infractions?
- What laws control firearms in Canada?
- What is the difference between licensing and registration?
- What are the different classes of firearms?
Create a pamphlet to explore the reasoning behind gun control. Why ban
or restrict various weapons? You can find information at the Web sites
cited above, and at the main home page for the Coalition
for Gun Control. The articles in the left sidebar will help you
answer some of the following questions.
- What statistics support the argument that more guns result in more
- How does the rate of homicide using handguns in Canada compare with
that in the United States?
- How can gun control affect the rate of gun use in domestic violence?
- How do guns rank as a cause of death among Canadian youth?
- What event in Canada sparked a heated battle for stronger gun controls?
- What is the rationale for licensing and registration?