Unit 4: Family Law
CHAPTER 13: MARRIAGE, DIVORCE, AND FAMILY MEDIATION
E-ACTIVITY: FORMAL REQUIREMENTS FOR MARRIAGE IN YOUR PROVINCE OR TERRITORY
Activity: Create a Pamphlet about the Formal Requirements for Marriage
Each province or territory in Canada has jurisdiction over formalities
of marriage. How much is a marriage licence in your province or territory?
Who can issue the licence? What is involved in registering a marriage?
To answer these questions, create a pamphlet for couples.
- Look for information about the formal requirements for marriage in
your province or territory. To do so, you might visit Web sites for
the following jurisdictions:
- Create a pamphlet in which you answer each of the following questions
for area residents wanting to get married.
- What is the name of the marriage legislation in your province
- Who may issue a marriage licence in your province or territory?
- What is the cost of a marriage licence in your province or territory?
- For how long is the marriage licence valid?
- Who may apply for a marriage licence?
- What type of identification should I bring to get a licence?
- Who can perform the marriage ceremony in your province or territory?
- What is involved in registering the marriage?
Where possible, download a pdf. file sample of a marriage licence
application form to include in your pamphlet.