Unit 4: Family Law
CHAPTER 13: MARRIAGE, DIVORCE, AND FAMILY MEDIATION
E-ACTIVITY: LEGAL CHALLENGES TO MARRIAGE LAWS (p. 398)
Activity: Report on Legal Challenges to Marriage Laws
Recently in Canada, people have been challenging the country’s
marriage laws with questions such as “How do we define ‘spouse’?”
and “Do same-sex partnerships qualify as legal marriages in Canada?”
What legal challenges are currently before the courts?
Write a report highlighting current legal challenges to marriage laws.
- Visit the Web site of EGALE
and research the current challenges before the courts with respect
to marriage laws. Consult the following EGALE press releases or fact
sheets for your research.
Also, view the Canadian Human Rights Commission document regarding
Finally, you might search CBC
news articles using the keywords "same sex marriages."
- Based on your findings, write a report summarizing and commenting
on the challenges. Use the following checklist to help you develop your
if you would like to download the checklist.
Research Report Checklist
- Have I included sufficient information from outside sources, in
the form of facts, ideas, legal concepts, and so on?
- Have I included information that is clear, concise, and accurate?
- Have I used all the steps in the legal inquiry process, that is,
focus, identify sources, formulate, research, organize, answer,
- Have I taken into account different points of view and bias in
- Have I formulated an introduction that engages the reader?
- Have I formulated an introduction that explains what the report
- Have I formulated a conclusion that summarizes the main points
of the report clearly and effectively?
- Have I ensured that the overall organization is effective, for
example, with transitions within and among an introduction, a body,
and a conclusion?
- Have I included graphs and charts that are clear and correct?
- Have I used language conventions that are accurate and effective?
- Have I ensured that my footnotes and bibliography follow the correct