Unit 5: Contract Law
CHAPTER 17: CARRYING OUT THE CONTRACT
E-ACTIVITY: RECENT TELEMARKETING SCAMS AND HOW CONSUMERS CAN PROTECT
THEMSELVES (p. 540)
Activity: Create a Bookmark about Telemarketing Scams and Consumer Protection
The growth of communications technology has meant advertisers have more
ways to access consumers, and so, more possibilities for unethical advertisers
to run scams. The increase in telemarketing scams is an international
trend that targets victims young and old. What are typical telemarketing
scams? How can consumers protect themselves against such deceptive practices?
Research telemarketing scams and create a bookmark about them for consumers.
- Visit the Web site for PhoneBusters
to find answers to the following questions:
- What is PhoneBusters?
- Who are common victims of telemarketing crimes? (Select “Statistics
on Phone Fraud.”)
- What are the typical types of telemarketing scams?
- What are two current telemarketing scams?
- How can consumers protect themselves against these scams?
- How do you report phone fraud?
- Design a bookmark that could be used as part of a public education
campaign about telemarketing fraud. Imagine that your goal is to target
adults—warning them about the dangers of scams and addressing
the above questions.